Tuesday 1 October 2013

Complaint or Christ?



“Does my life testify to my belief in the power of complaint or the power of Christ?” 

(so this took me a while but here's my first reflections on the book)

It’s so easy to complain. Sometimes complaint gets things done – like perhaps in customer service – but even then, there are no guarantees.  People fail.

By complaining about my life and circumstances I am either placing confidence in myself  – my own ability to make something of my life - which then implies that I’ve failed at that already. Or I’m placing my confidence  in people or “the system” or society which will always be flawed. And where will that complaint get me ultimately?

Nowhere, really.

Because it is all fallible, this world, its people, their futile efforts to make it all a better place.

And then, when I get nowhere, I complain into the air… and ultimately about or to God.

He has failed me. Why are things not happening the way I planned, the way I prayed? Why does disappointment settle so heavily in my heart and mind? Why?

And where does complaining to God get me?

Again. Nowhere.

Don’t get me wrong, he wants to hear our prayers and he listens and has compassion when we are confused and upset and even when we question things.

But beyond that, where is my confidence going to find a solid place to stand if complaint is all I ever fall back on? Where will that leave me, really?

There is more to what I experience to be disappointment in my life.
Question – has God ever really failed you? Has God ever failed me?

I do feel that sometimes.

I don’t understand him, so I dismiss him and his way of doing things.

But if he understands me, then isn’t that enough?

If he has miraculously proved Himself faithful to me in the past, then isn’t that enough, to hope for good things to come? Because he is the same, yesterday, today and forever?

Maybe it’s about time I start trying something new.
Complaint has gotten me nowhere.

Christ. I have nothing to lose, except myself – in his kindness and faithfulness and redemptive power.

“Jesus' blood never failed me yet”

That is enough.

Christ is enough.

He will see me through. Always has. Always will.